Linux Kernel Hacker Wanted!
We are ZeroPoint Technologies, a high-tech start-up company located in Gothenburg, Sweden. We are now looking for a driven System software engineer to join our team. We are creating a novel technology that improves the memory performance without doing any changes in the memory itself. This is done by compressing efficiently all memory data. Data compression is not new, but our technology is something that does not exist out there!
- It is integrated in the latency-sensitive memory access path between the processor and the memory, thus it is ultra-fast: works in nanoseconds!!
- It is applicable to all processing systems that use memories: servers, smartphones, base-stations, smart-watches, PCs, etc.
- It is lossless, as data can be anything loaded in the memory when being processed: family images, emails, data generated by a computation fluid dynamics application running on an HPC server.
- It is cool, as compression is self-trained by the data.
- It is not just hardware or not just software. It’s both!
The benefits of our technology are many-fold: increased memory capacity without increasing the memory area thus better performance; improved memory off-chip bandwidth allowing better scaling of processing elements; same performance at lower cost. We are computer architects, performance analysts, ASIC designers, Linux hackers, and business developers with PhD and more than 30 years of commercial experience. The technology itself is built on the top of 15 years of academic experience.Challenging problems is part of our daily work. Our solutions many and our ideas many more. Innovation is continuous because this is how our work impacts the end product. ZeroPoint Technologies offers a fun working environment that boosts creativity, innovation and teamwork, which are the core values of our company important values for our success. The position is a full-time with an attractive option program.
Aim of work
Did you always want to change the virtual to physical translation? Do you find the page-fault path exciting? We do!In this role you will be part of the system software team. We are developing innovative system software as an integral part of our technology, addressing memory management challenges in the operating system level. We take ownership of our work and responsibility for the quality. This involves:
- System software design, development, and verification (e.g. device driver, kernel level tools)
- Linux kernel hacking
- Software tools to support further technology & product development (e.g. performance analysis)
- Scripting for continuous integration and testing
- A B.Sc. or M.Sc. degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or similar experience and a possibly different background such as Engineering Physics, Mathematics etc
- Extensive experience in kernel-level (Linux, Windows) software, or eagerness to dive in
- Excellent understanding of system performance across the stack, from HW and architecture to operating system and application layer
- Extensive experience in programming in (but not limited to) C/C++
- Experience in programming in scripting languages, e.g. Python/Shell scripts
- Driven and results-oriented
- Team spirit, good communication skills and ability to work independent
- Ph.D. degree, further education or experience in engineering, computer science or other technical related field
- Experience or knowledge in OS memory management
- Experience in the internals of virtualization (e.g. Xen, KVM, containers)
- Extensive experience from having been part of customer projects
- Experience or knowledge in any of the fields: Compression, Security, Reliability
- A work permit in the EU/EEA
How to apply
Apply by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following content (in English):
- A Curriculum Vitae
- A description of software/hardware experience and skills, with examples of achievements if applicable
- A description of the applicant’s exams and grades with certificates if you have less than 2 years of experience.
Part of the recruitment process includes a brainstorming meeting about improving the Linux memory management.We welcome all applications irrespective of sex, transgender identity or expression, ethnicity, religion or other belief, disability, sexual orientation or age. Do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions: email@example.com