MaxiMem is an innovative, patented compression/decompresison technology that consists of a silicon memory compression IP block on a SoC (System on a Chip). It exploits the memory resources of computing devices so effectively that it doubles memory capacity and bandwidth and potentially speed and performance, potentially cutting current energy consumption in half.
Our technology is high-performance, transparent to application software and is data lossless. It compresses the data effectively and ultra-fast through novel implementation strategies in hardware.
Overcoming barriers to innovation in the semiconductor industry
Before licensing an IP block, customers need to know how well it will work for a specific application in their particular architecture. This generally means implementing it in a demo chip at high upfront cost. This is a key technological and cost barrier to innovation in this industry.
To mitigate this risk, and turn it into an opportunity, we will create a suite of tools that allow for detailed parameter testing under different simulated conditions. These tools will show the benefits of our solution in a specific customer’s system. In combination with the parallel development of a demonstrator SoC, funded through other European sources (EuroEXA), the tools developed in the current SME-2 project will ensure our success in the market.
MaxiMem and Ziptilion™
When the application for this project was filed the product name was MaxiMem. During the course of the project it so turned out that it was not possible to protect the MaxiMem brand in the targeted markets, therefore the product has changed name from MaxiMem to Ziptilion™.
The project includes six work packages (WP) organised around the following activity sets:
- Development: WP 1-3 develop a set of tools with which the customer will be able to validate for themselves the expected performance of Ziptilion™ in their processor subsystem.
- User testing: In WP4 the prospective customer will use our tools to validate the expected perfomance, possibly in iterations where minor adjustments are done on the tools to maximally demonstrate the potential of Ziptilion™ for the customer. In this WP we will also assess the technical results from the customer testing.
- Business: To ensure we are ready for market expploitation once the current project is complete. WP5 includes business development activities and customer recruitment while WP6 is for project management.
Dissemination and Achievements
These activities have been accomplished.
October – MaxiMem / Ziptilion online data compressibility evaluation for customer angagement and data assessment. ZeroPoint release the opportunity for customers to go on line and get a quick compressibility assessment of their dataset. And based on that information they can decide if the result is indicating a substantial business value to them. The online data assessment can be found here.
- November – ZeroPoint is presenting our technology at MCC2019 – The 12th Nordic Workshop on Multi-Core Computing.
November – ZeroPoint is exibiting our technology and our solution at Super Computing 2019.
- December – ZeroPoint is participating at RISC-V Summit 2019 as Silver founding member of the RISC-V Foundation.
- January – ZeroPoint is exibiting our technology and our solution at the HiPEAC (High Performanc Embedded Architecture and Compilation) 2020 conference.
- February – ZeroPoint Technologies innovate in how to apply the real time memory compression technology on Solid State Discs (SSD), the offering can be found here.
- March – An updated introduction to ZeroPoint Technologies has been relased and can be found here.
The planned commuication and information activities is presented here. Also the development of Ziptilion™ and communication of the activities and results are going to be listed here.
- May – Embedded Multi-Core Conference (https://www.multicore-conference.com/)
- June – International Symposium on Computer Architecture (http://www.iscaconf.org)
- July – Design Automation Conference (http://www.dac.com)
- August – Hot Chips: A symposium on High Performance Chips (https://www.hotchips.org/)
- September – ARM Summit (https://www.arm.com/company/events/research-summit)
- November – Super Computing (https://sc19.supercomputing.org/)
- December – RISC-V Summit (https://tmt.knect365.com/risc-v-summit/)